The shipwreck near the islet of Gnalić, not far from the coastal town of Biograd na Moru in Central Dalmatia (Croatia), is one of the most significant post-medieval shipwreck sites in the Mediterranean. Besides the wide range of interesting finds belonging to the ship’s equipment and cargo, which raised public interest in the late 1960s, recent archival research has yielded hundreds of documents revealing the exciting history of the ship and its rich political, economic, cultural and historical context. Built in Venice in 1569 for Benedetto da Lezze, Lazzaro Mocenigo and Piero Basadonna, captured by the famous Ottoman corsair Uluç Ali in 1571, and sold to Odoardo da Gagliano in Pera (Constantinople) in 1581, the ship sunk at Gnalić in early November 1583, loaded with precious cargo shipped from Venice to Constantinople. Among many interesting items of various provenance, the ship carried windowpanes ordered by Sultan Murad III, and precious gifts from the Venetian Senate intended for the Sultan’s mother Nūr Bānū. The Shipwreck of Gnalić – Mirror of Renaissance World project, directed by the University of Zadar, in collaboration with Texas A&M University and other Croatian and foreign institutions, focuses on the systematic interdisciplinary research of the site. It also aims at reconstruction of its comprehensive Late Renaissance context, through the numerous objects found and the various persons involved in its curious and intriguing story.
Virtual guided tour of exhibition: GNALIĆ - TREASURE OF A 16TH CENTURY SUNKEN SHIP
In Croatian History Museum.
PAGE UNDER CONSTRUCTION . . .